Your oral health is often dependent upon many factors other than just the health of your teeth and gums. Your jaw must also be taken care of. If the temporomandibular joints, also called TMJs, are damaged, the ability to speak, eat, or even open and close your mouth could be severely hindered.
Improve your oral health with TMJ treatments. Here are some you should consider:
– Heat packs can be used to lessen the discomfort caused by TMJ disorders.
– Always speak with your dentist at Stephen Kwitnicki, DDS for treatments and instructions to protect your TMJs.
– Chewing tough or hard foods can wear down your TMJs, so avoid risky foods and eat only softer foods.
– Take any medications as prescribed by your dentist.
– If you are looking for treatment systems you can use at home, meditation and biofeedback are excellent relaxation methods for jaw tension.
– Avoid chewing bubble gum or biting your nails, as they can put unnecessary strain on your TMJs.
– Bruxism, which causes you to unconsciously grind your teeth, can cause TMJ disorders, so sleep with a night guard or a bite plate for protection.
If you would like to schedule a dental exam to check for TMJ disorders with Dr. Stephen Kwitnicki, please contact our office at Union, New Jersey. You can call us at 908-516-2906. Don’t let your oral health care go unnoticed any longer. Take the steps now to build a better bridge to a brighter future.